Student Frequently Asked Questions
I missed the pre-registration deadline of October 8, 2013, but would still like to attend the Grad Expo. Can I still participate?
You are welcome to attend the Graduate School Expo, but will need to register at the door on Sunday between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm or Monday between 7:30 am and 11:30 am. The registration fee when you register at the door is $40.
I would like to attend the Grad School Expo, but I will not be able to arrive until after the event begins. Can I still participate?
Student registration and check in for the Graduate School Expo is scheduled from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm on Sunday, October 20 in Room 118 of the Purdue Memorial Union (PMU). We will also check in pre-registered late arrivals from 6:15 pm to 8:00 pm at the Welcome Dinner. Registration is open between 7:30 am to 11:30 am on Monday, October 21 in Purdue Memorial Union South Ballroom's West Entrance.
I attended the Grad School Expo last year and would like to attend again this year. Can I participate in the Grad School Expo more than once?
If you attended the Graduate School Expo in the past, you may attend in the future. If you require a travel scholarship to attend, please be aware that new applicants that have not attended the Graduate School Expo in the past will be given priority consideration for travel funding.
Where do I park when I arrive at Purdue?
The most convenient visitor parking is available in the Grant Street Parking Garage (abbreviated PGG on campus maps). If you will be driving to the Grad Expo, Purdue will provide you with a complimentary parking pass once you submit a completed evaluation form at the conclusion of the event.
I saw that if I attend the Grad Expo, I can have my Purdue Graduate School application fee waived. If I have already applied to Purdue's Graduate School, can my application fee be reimbursed if I attend the Grad Expo?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to reimburse application fees. In order to qualify for the application fee waiver, you must attend the Grad Expo first, and then apply for graduate admission at Purdue. Instructions for receiving the application fee waiver will be e-mailed after the event to everyone who attended the Grad Expo. Note that students who register for the Expo but do not attend are not eligible for the application fee waiver.
When is the deadline to apply for travel scholarships?
Priority consideration is given to completed applications that are received by Tuesday, October 1, 2013. Applications received after this date will be considered based on funding availability.
I live outside the United States, but would like to attend the Graduate School Expo. Can I apply for a travel scholarship?
Unfortunately, due to limited financial support for the Graduate School Expo, we are only able to provide travel scholarships for qualified applicants traveling within the United States and its territories. However, presentations from all workshops offered at the Graduate School Expo will be available for review on the event's Web site beginning about two weeks after the Expo.
I have visited Purdue during a summer research program (or previous Grad Expo attendee or Purdue visitation program participant). Am I still eligible for a travel scholarship?
In order to provide more students with an opportunity to participate in the Grad Expo and to visit Purdue University, previous Grad Expo, Purdue summer research program, and Purdue visitation program participants are not eligible to apply for travel scholarships.
I registered for the Grad Expo, but can only attend if I receive a travel scholarship. If I do not receive a scholarship, can my registration fee be refunded?
If you are not awarded a travel scholarship, and therefore, are unable to attend the Grad Expo, your registration fee will be refunded to you, provided you request a refund prior to the event.
What expenses are covered by a travel scholarship?
Eligible expenses include:
- Coach class airfare or other transportation to Purdue University
- Airport transfers
- Standard hotel accommodations
- Meals purchased while traveling to and attending the Expo with the exception of meals provided by Purdue University (Purdue will provide dinner on Sunday evening as well as breakfast and lunch during the Grad Expo on Monday.)
I applied for a travel scholarship. When will I be notified about whether or not I will receive one?
Completed applications will be reviewed as quickly as possible. Travel scholarships will be awarded on a rolling basis beginning in Mid-August and will continue to be awarded as funds become available. You will be notified via e-mail if you receive a travel scholarship. Depending on the availability of funds, some scholarships may not be awarded until closer to the event.
I was selected to receive a travel scholarship. How do I receive the funds to pay for my travel expenses?
All travel scholarships are awarded on a reimbursement basis. Once you have made your travel arrangements, please complete the following:
- Bring all currently available original, itemized receipts for eligible expenses totaling up to the amount of the scholarship to the Grad School Expo.
- Submit all available receipts to Ms. Kathy Walters when you check in at the student registration/check-in table in the Purdue Memorial Union's Room 118. If Ms. Walters is not available, advise the person assisting you that you need to leave receipts for her. If you need to mail in some receipts, please notify the person assisting you and you will be provided with a self-addressed envelope.
- If you are an international student, please bring a copy of your passport and visa with your receipts as well as a copy of the I-20 and I-94, if you are on an F-1 visa.
- If you would like to get a head start on the form that we need you to complete for reimbursement, print off the Payee Certification form before your arrival at Purdue. Please be sure to only complete sections A and C on the form. The form is available on the Information for Award Recipients Web page.
- Complete and submit an evaluation form for the Grad School Expo to a Purdue Graduate School or Conferences staff member before you depart Purdue University. Or, you may also complete and return the evaluation with any receipts you mail in for reimbursement.
How long will it take me to get reimbursed for my travel expenses?
Your reimbursement request will be processed when all necessary forms and documentation are received from you. You may expect to receive a check from Purdue University by postal mail in approximately four weeks of our receipt of the completed paperwork, original receipts, and Grad School Expo evaluation form.
Getting to Purdue and Where to Stay
What is the best way to get to Purdue?
Depending on where you are traveling from, you may wish to travel by air, car, train, or bus. Most visitors to Purdue fly into the Indianapolis International Airport (airport code IND), which is approximately 90 minutes from Purdue. For more information on traveling to Purdue, including tips for reducing travel costs, please visit the Hotel and Travel Information page.
What hotels are close to campus?
Accommodations are available on campus in the Union Club Hotel or off campus in the Lafayette-West Lafayette area. For information about accommodations, please visit the Hotel and Travel Information page.
I have additional questions about the Graduate School Expo that are not answered here. Who can I contact?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 765-496-3310 for further questions and assistance.